Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Slave

In his book “slave” John MacArthur uses a plethora of scripture to expose a “cover up” in the modern translations of the scripture. Retuning to the original languages and writing MacArthur shows how often the word slave is replaced by softer more autonomous phrases such as servant. While servant is a good word in does not convey the original message that scripture intended. To be a servant allows you to maintain a certain amount of uniqueness that allows me to be myself while still serving God. When I become a slave suddenly I am nothing but what my master wants me to be and that is all. This is a candid unapologetic look at our Identity in Christ and how we have allowed culture to dictate how nonchalantly we approach our life in Christ. This is a challenging book that is packed with scripture so the point has to be considered carefully. MacArthur asks you to view your life in Christ differently and transition from willing servant to sold out slave.

1 comment:

  1. Good review. John MacArthur makes me a little nutty sometimes so I'm glad to get a good review from you on this book. :)

    ReplyDelete